Several undocumented functions in ImageOps have been deprecated:
box_blur. Use the equivalent operations in ImageFilter
instead. These functions will be removed in a future release.
TIFF Metadata Changes¶
- TIFF tags with unknown type/quantity now default to being bare values if they are 1 element, where previously they would be a single element tuple. This is only with the new api, not the legacy api. This normalizes the handling of fields, so that the metadata with inferred or image specified counts are handled the same as metadata with count specified in the TIFF spec.
JPEGTablestags now have a defined type (bytes) and a count of 1.
ImageJMetaDataByteCountstag now has an arbitrary number of items, as there can be multiple items, one for UTF-8, and one for UTF-16.
Core Image API Changes¶
These are internal functions that should not have been used by user code, but they were accessible from the python layer.
Debugging code within
Image.core.grabclipboard was removed. It had been
will be removed in future versions since PIL. When enabled, it
identified the format of the clipboard data.
have been removed.
Get One Channel From Image¶
A new method
PIL.Image.Image.getchannel() has been added to
return a single channel by index or name. For example,
image.getchannel("A") will return alpha channel as separate image.
getchannel should work up to 6 times faster than
image.split() in previous Pillow versions.
A new filter,
PIL.ImageFilter.BoxBlur, has been
added. This is a filter with similar results to a Gaussian blur, but
is much faster.
Added new argument
argument defines a source rectangle from within the source image to be
resized. This is very similar to the
sequence except that
box can be specified with subpixel accuracy.
New Transpose Operation¶
Image.TRANSVERSE operation has been added to
PIL.Image.Image.transpose(). This is equivalent to a transpose
operation about the opposite diagonal.
There is a new
PIL.ImageFilter.MultibandFilter base class
for image filters that can run on all channels of an image in one
operation. The original
remains for image filters that can process only single band images, or
require splitting of channels prior to filtering.
Loading 16-bit TIFF Images¶
Pillow now can read 16-bit multichannel TIFF files including files with alpha transparency. The image data is truncated to 8-bit precision.
This release contains several performance improvements:
- Many memory bandwidth-bounded operations such as crop, image allocation, conversion, split into bands and merging from bands are up to 2x faster.
- Upscaling of multichannel images (such as RGB) is accelerated by 5-10%
- JPEG loading is accelerated up to 15% and JPEG saving up to 20% when using a recent version of libjpeg-turbo.
Image.transposehas been accelerated 15% or more by using a cache friendly algorithm.
- ImageFilters based on Kernel convolution are significantly faster due to the new MultibandFilter feature.